Saturday, June 27, 2009

Dixie Dregs

The fire at Georgia theater last week sent me into reminisce-mode. I remember one of my favorite bands that I ever saw there--the Dixie Dregs. Think Bela Fleck with a touch of the Allman Brothers & you'll have an idea of how they sound.

We used to road trip from Peachtree to get to the theater--back roads all the way. By the time we limped into town, sitting down in any air-conditioned room was a really intense feeling. We would rest a little, drink a little, rest a little...you get the picture.

The Dregs had a very laid back vibe but the crowds weren't always so mellow. Fights broke out from time to time & I do remember the night we all had to leave the building till the cops got things sorted out.

Their label was Capricorn Records out of Macon Ga.. Capricorn signed Widespread Panic, the Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, Wet Willie, Elvin Bishop, plus a few others too.

That was good stuff! Glad I was there to hear it : )

2 comments:

  1. REminiscing about venues and bands? I mentioned meeting Neil Diamond above somewhere. I met him at the original grungy Navy Pier in 1967, long before it had a Ferris Wheel and shopping. It was the "World's Teen Fair". My sister and I commuted by bus from Dearborn St. when she was 13 and I was 11. I would have won the talent contest, singing White RAbbit, if my sis hadn't told them I wasn't a teen, yet.
    I also met THE CRYAN' SHAMES there. the Shames ARE an amazing garage band with tight harmonies and plenty of percussion bells, whistles and chimes.
    Memories of the Segal Schwall Blues Band at the Quiet Night on Chicago North side somewhere near Lincoln & Fullerton El are also in my TOP TEN favorite pastimes in the windy city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY, I've just remembered the Coffee HOuse circuit, circa 1969, or so. there was The Bridge in Wheaton, one at Elmhurst College, one at IIT off the DAn Ryan Expressway somewhere...

    And OH, yeah, There WAs a club where I saw James TAylor, Carol King and Mountain. It was a trippy place called "The Syndrome" on the North side of the LOOP in Chicago...Ask me about that place and the time I heard Buffy St. Marie in Wisconsin...in my wild oats days...

    ReplyDelete