Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Bad Economy Is Not My Master

The economy sucks. There, was that eloquent enough? I'm not breaking any newsflash here, you can't turn on the radio, tv, or whatever gadget you get your info from without yet another sad story. My friends have had to change jobs, move from their homes, drop out of school, you name it, just to get by. Truth is, they're barely doing that sometimes. It's been hard especially on smaller business's. The Hendersonville Chamber of Commerce said at a meeting last year that over 90% of the business's in operation in Henderson County were considered "small business".

Every day I drive about 3 miles to the post office before starting my day's activities. At least every other day there will be another business closed, building empty, or home for rent or sale. What's not to be paranoid about? How many people have lost a huge chunk of their retirement since 2007?

I'll bet we all have recession stories by now.

I bring up this not-so-pleasant subject to make the point that everybody reading this has been affected in one way or another by what's been happening, so what good does it do to lash out against somebody else who is going through it too? I'm getting tired of watching desperate people take the low road time after time. I haven't seen it help their situations at all, I've only seen it damage self-esteem, relationships, etc..

When this is all over, where will they be? I know how it feels to need money, I know how it feels to have bills looming overhead too, & "not good" doesn't begin to describe it. But acting out of fear, anger, desperation, whatever, doesn't help at all. That much I know.

I firmly resolve not to do that! I started yesterday with someone who has treated me pretty unfairly. It didn't feel good & I was arguably within my rights to act in kind, but I didn't even though I was tempted. Maybe some day we'll meet again & get a few things straightened out. Maybe not. Maybe I'll get hit by a milk truck before that happens, but at least I'll know I did the right thing--in spite of the economy.

So take that recession! You might keep me from making a bunch of money but you can't keep me from taking the high road when I have the chance...

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen a milk man, or a milk truck, since the 80's when I lived in San Diego. So I guess you and I are stuck with the notion of trusting in something other than the government for as long as it takes our culture to apreciate our freedom, or for us to lose it altogether. Freedom is never free. We all live downstream, so I'm thinking that a little something called the golden rule might be the way to go from now on! Bravo to you for NOT indulging in revenge. Forgiveness is more powerful than hate!

    ReplyDelete