Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Conficker Worm Could Be Heading Your Way



Conficker (also called Downadup) will be triggered on April 1st.





This one makes me a little nervous, because it's being taken seriuosly by the major tech security firms. I've read that there are at least 3 million machines that are already infected & ready to be triggered & one of the computer techs in my family has been told by their employer to not make any plans for April 1st, or 2nd, in case they have to stay at work trying to do damage control.

If this worm lives up to the hype I've been reading, we might see networks to jammed with traffic & spotty web sites & email, maybe more. Remember "Slammer" in 2003? I do. Yuck. I don't know too much about it yet, but have been reading up to get up to speed just in case it affects me, mine, yours, ours, etc.

Microsoft announced a $250K reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals behind the creation and/or distribution of Conficker

You can test whether they have the worm by trying to access the web site of F-Secure or Symantec Corp. since the worm supposedly blocks those sites.

I read sci-fi, & the apocalyptic takeover of humanity by vicious sentient machines seems pretty plausible to me & this could be the first step. You know, create a massive botnet army that harnesses the power of the internet to do evil against the citizens of the world...

(playing in the background)
"Paranoia will destroy ya..."

Here are some links so you can read up for yourself:

Now go check your machines!

No comments:

Post a Comment