Friday, February 27, 2009

The Art Of The Schmooze


The origin of the word "schmooze" is Yiddish. It means to converse informally, to make small talk. In the 70's & 80's "schmoozing" became "networking". Guess that sounds more politically correct. Whatever. By the time I entered the world of Travel & Tourism, Chamber of Commerce, etc., in the 90's, it had been elevated to a real art. There was a lady I worked with who literally made her living getting sales for the hotel by doing nothing more than going to groups & being highly visible. (She called it schmoozing).

When I started working for myself I decided to "work" the local Chamber, & it did pay off after awhile. Problem is, it is really tiring to constantly put yourself out there & keep up a public face. It's also very time-consuming. A few years ago I made the decision--no more committees, groups, or any other gatherings for me unless I just felt like it. Now I rarely attend meetings, & even then I have an attitude that is much more relaxed & I think it works better! If there is a group of people I don't want to be around, I don't get around them. I don't worry about what people think, I don't worry if I am wearing the right clothes or if my pen looks expensive or whatever. I just hang out & get to know people. No expectations on my part, no requirements on anyone else's other than to not be rude.

Is it age that lets a person relax in public or is it something else? Why does it work so much better when you quit trying so hard? Is it a confidence thing?

Zig Ziglar (here's a link for all you youngsters) always taught that listening is the best way to be remembered.

I think he's right. At the very least I've been having a lot more fun doing it this way.

See you at the schmoozefest later. I'll be the one in jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment