Saturday, February 7, 2009

White Squirrels and Suet Recipe

Today I saw 3 yep, 3 white squirrels playing in the yard. I tried for a photo but they took off before I could get the camera outside. Seems Hendersonville is catching up to Brevard finally.

I made some suet & put it out right before the cold snap last week & have had a lot of different animals eating it. Yes, I put it there for all the animals, squirrels, birds, whatever.

Here's the recipe:

  • 1 cup lard
  • 2 cups peanuts that have been grinded down to the consistency of crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2 cups oats--not instant oatmeal
  • 1 cup raisins
Stir lard & peanut butter together in glass pan until blended. It's ok to put the mixture in the microwave for a bit to help with the stirring.

Add cornmeal & raisins
Stir in oats
Roll into whatever shape you want.

Use within one week.

*I also use whatever raw nuts or berries I have to spare in the kitchen. Some people add powdered eggshells, but I don't & the animals don't seem to mind!

Here's a link to a photo Merle took of one of our squirrels a couple of months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment