Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy 74th birthday, Elvis!


Yesterday was Elvis's birthday. He's been gone 32(?) years now I think. Odd to think that I have lived longer than he did. It's also kind of amazing to see the impact he still has on people-especially here in the South.

My family had just arrived at the beach on vacation when we heard the news. My mom was so upset that we turned the car around & went home. I remember that we had tickets to an upcoming show in Asheville, but I can't remember if the Civic Center was open yet or not. I think it was. I had already seen him in Asheville once. My mom still has the Asheville Citizen-Times that was printed the day after his death.

He was called "the King". He got into the White House simply on the strength of his personality & he made my usually staid & quiet family go nuts at his show.

So what was it about Elvis that makes him worthy of the 100's of news articles & many hours of television reports yesterday? I can't figure it out. Why is he so beloved? Why for that matter am I writing about him today? There's something there but I'm not sure what it is.

Oh well, happy birthday Elvis!

No comments:

Post a Comment