Monday, January 5, 2009

There Really Is A Trick To It


Couponing that is. I used to hear about these folks who would walk out of the store with a cart full of groceries for $10 or some insanely low amount like that & I would think that there was no way they could get anything but Ramen & pinto beans for that. Then my sister in law started getting into the whole coupon thing & I decided to check it out for myself. Yesterday I spent a grand total of $44 dollars & yes, I had about 18 bags of groceries & no, it wasn't crappy food (anybody who knows Randy is aware of what a picky eater he is). I've been "working the food system" for about 12 weeks now, which is the amount of time I was told it would take to build up to this level.

The rest of my shopping for the month should be perishables--milk, bread, produce. I would like to keep bill around $100, which would take about %75 from our usual monthly average. There's something very satisfying about knowing I have saved that kind of money in this economy.

I figure I will spend roughly 8 hours this month "couponing". I don't know about you, but that's alot of time for me to spend on anything that doesn't involve live music. It also takes longer to shop with coupons because like I wrote earlier, there really is a trick to it.

We'll see if I keep it up or wimp out.

Expect multiple posts today as I am basically sititng at my desk all day. One appointment out & that's it so I will probably post when I get bored or need a break from coding.

2 comments:

  1. I spend at least 30 minutes every Sunday clipping coupons. I can't live without them, and am always looking for a deal :) I aim to get out of the grocery store spending less than $60. For two people, that's not bad, especially considering the amount of soda we buy (we really need to kick that habit.)

    You can get coupons online at citizen-times.com/coupons :) It's really useful sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We (my sister in law & I) have been using the CT coupon page for a while & it's been really useful. We'll have to get together & I'll show you the science of all of it if you want. Merle attended a "Coupon Mom" workshop & came out of it enthused & enlightened & I have benefited from it ever since.

    ReplyDelete